Thursday, March 26, 2015

Kate Flynn needs some work....

The only thing that Kate Flynn's "Fat and the Land: Size Stereotyping in Pixar's Up" had going for it was that it was short and not too time consuming to read. JK, that was harsh. I've just always wanted to sound like one of those intense critics who can get away with being brutally and painfully honest. Anyways, I'll rephrase and say that I was most definitely NOT a fan of this article. Although it was short, I was pretty much lost the entire time, as I never could fully understand her overall argument and how the different details supported a broader claim.

One of the things I was most bothered by was how she kept starting her paragraphs with questions. This is a totally valid writing strategy, assuming that you answer the questions. However, Flynn's questions remained unanswered and ambiguous. At the end of each paragraph I would check back at its opening question, only to find myself even more confused. I think that these questions and lack of answers were a major fault in the organization of the paper.

In addition to the structural issues, I had a lot of trouble with the content of her paper. I think many people will agree that her argument stating that, "the lines of the waterfall are suggestive of female genitalia," is beyond absurd. LITERALLY WHAT. They are lines. They do not have significance. Kate Flynn, where's your head at? Even if the lines DID have this supposed symbolic meaning, I honestly don't think that this detail would further her argument in any way. It's not as if this idea was completely relevant or necessary for her article.

I was straight up confused at her argument about religion. Although Disney is known to have some deeper/hidden meaning in some of its films, I really don't think that there was any underlying religious messages in this paper. I think Flynn calling attention to religion was a poor attempt at analyzing the movie.

Lastly, what I found to be extremely distracting was her quoting. She stole little, few-word quotes from other sources a few times in every paragraph. The words she used gave no indication if her quote was an accurate representation of the author's original ideas. For some reason, I don't think all the authors she was quoting would have generally supported her....

No comments:

Post a Comment