Saturday, February 28, 2015

I LOVE THE LION KING!!!

If my very telling blog title didn't make it clear, The Lion King has always been and always will be one of my all time Disney faves. It truly is a great movie! I'd like to use this blogpost to call attention to some of what I believe to be the movie's high points:

1. The MUSIC!!! Seriously one of the most memorable take aways from the movie. I would go as far as saying that "Hakuna Matata" is the most catchy Disney song of all time (though "Under the Sea" would give it a run for its money...). "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" is also incredible. I can feel Lil' Simba's excitement so strongly that it literally puts a smile on my face. Also, Nala gets an A+ for harmonies. Also, we can't discredit "Circle of Life" for being beyond powerful and "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" for melting hearts everywhere.  Ah, young lion love. Thank god someone else realized how great this music was and turned it into a Broadway show.

2. This may be the 4 years of photography class speaking from inside, but the graphics are absolutely beautiful! It all starts with the opening scene as being potentially the most breathtaking sunset ever. Yes, it is animated, but still. Kudos, Disney. Throughout the entire movie, the colors captivate me. The sky, the trees, the waterfall -- it's all so stunning! In the scene where Mufasa speaks to Simba telling him to remember who he is, the colors literally captivate you.

3. Although Simba is a lion, he is so relatable. I find myself easily being able to relate with his internal debate of trying to do the right thing (go home to be King of Pride Rock) and wanting to avoid all responsibility (staying with Timon and Pumba). Kind of like my daily struggle of deciding if I should be responsible and do school work or veg out and watch Netflix. I feel you, Simba.

4. Rafiki is amazing. That is all.


I believe a disclaimer is necessary. Like all the other Disney films I have rewatched this semester, I have noticed some flaws with The Lion King that I didn't notice as child. There are some issues in the movie that completely went over my head when I was younger. However, that being said, I still am a HUGE Lion King fan!

No comments:

Post a Comment