Thursday, February 19, 2015

75 degree weather can’t stop Frozen…


 I spent the past weekend in sunny Santa Barbara for a club lacrosse tournament. It was SO nice to get a break from the cold Durham weather. During some downtime between games, my teammates and I hit the streets for some shopping. We ended up inside a little store that sold all types of trinkets (Nutella cookbooks, hamburger socks, etc.).

In the center of the store stood one display larger than all the rest. You guessed it: Frozen. Every inch of these tables was covered completely with Frozen gear. Literally. There were the classic dolls, of course, but what really caught my attention was the variety of other products. There were Frozen flip-flops (because that isn’t at all contradictory) and Frozen band aids ­– Elsa’s powers can heal your cut faster! My personal favorite was the totally necessary Frozen jellybeans.

I totally get that there are a ton of marketing opportunities for Disney. I also knew that Frozen totally killed it with the products– I mean Elsa outdoing Barbie is HUGE. But that being said, I was still baffled by it all. Maybe it was the context…there I am standing in sandals and a tank top and in front of me is a sea of Frozen. Or maybe it was the fact that Frozen premiered over a year ago and it’s still this relevant. Either way, I’m curious to see how much longer Elsa, Ana, Olaf, and the whole gang stay popular and keep rockin’ it.




No comments:

Post a Comment