Thursday, February 26, 2015

"Ariel, like the mermaid!"

While enjoying this much-needed snow day today, I heard a funny story. I'm not quite sure how it came up, but some friends and I were discussing how our parents chose our names. My friend Emily mentioned her friend named Arielle. She told us that Arielle got her name in an unusual way:

When Arielle's mother was pregnant, her parents asked her older sister (a young toddler at the time) what she would like her baby sister's name to be. Why they placed this responsibility in the hands of a three-year-old is beyond me, but not the point. The girl, without any hesitation, responds, "Ariel, like the mermaid!" And so, with a slight modification, her parents decided to name their newborn baby after The Little Mermaid.

My take away is that (1) it makes for a great two truths and a lie/fun fact and (2) at least her sister hadn't suggested Cinderella! It's a harder name to sport "casually"...

No comments:

Post a Comment