Sunday, February 22, 2015

I Never Realized How Skinny Disney Princesses Were

Well, this is interesting: Pop Princesses Photoshopped To Have Disney Princess Proportions.

I'm not going to go on a whole rant about how the tiny size of Disney princesses is a trigger of eating disorders in society. Honestly, I don't think that's true. For starters, Disney princesses are cartoon characters. They aren't real people; they are literally drawn.

That being said, though, the article made me question Disney's motives in making his princesses so distinctly small-looking. I mean seriously, they're about half the size of Taylor Swift, and THAT is saying something! There has to be a reason that Disney designed princesses to have such tiny waists, long necks, huge eyes, and tiny feet.

What I've come to conclude is that Disney probably found this "model" to be the one that would be most attractive to his audience. I'm not saying he is implying that anyone who likes Disney princesses needs to look like this, but I'm sure his goal was to create princesses that would become popular. For example, a quick Google search told me that the big eyes are a symbol of the princesses' innocence. Makes sense, because the are supposed role-models for little girls.

It boils down to the fact that Disney making his princesses super skinny only parallels the ideal views of beauty in society. We see skinnier to be prettier, and this "we" is who Disney is trying to impress. Do I think we would oppose princesses to have a slightly thicker waist and feet that could actually hold themselves up? No, of course not. But at the end of the day we have to remember that Disney is merely marketing a product, one that we (his audience) approve of.

No comments:

Post a Comment