Monday, February 16, 2015

The Little Mermaid: Ariel is a boss

Best part of watching The Little Mermaid? Being able to brag to everyone in my path that I was, in fact, doing homework. While sitting in the airport, my teammates slaved away on physics homework and polysci readings while I happily completed my assignment, and reminisced on my childhood memories while doing so.

The Little Mermaid always has and always will be one of my favorites. I think the main reason is that I love Ariel. I mean, how can you not?! She represents the angsty teen that we all once were/still are. Just a girl (technically mermaid, but same thing) trying to live her life without parental overprotection. Of course, Disney pulled the classic "leave-out-the-mom" move. Honestly I'm not even surprised anymore. Anyways, one of the things I love about Ariel is her badass-ness. First of all, she literally saves Eric. THAT'S A BIG DEAL. She casually rescues him after a dramatic ship explosion and returns him to safety. And then no one questions when he somehow turns up alive on the beach. Not the point, but just saying. Secondly, Ariel manages to actually make me feeeeeel. When she's pissed at her dad I'm thinking "I'm with ya, girl!". When Ursula persuades her to give up her voice I'm practically screaming, "NOOOOOOOOOO!". And when Eric keeps trying to get her to say something I literally feel Ariel's frustration. Like come on Eric, just kiss her...she's HOT. Ariel's just great. But major shout out to the aforementioned Buzzfeed quiz: HOW does her hair look like that?! Seriously, that volume + wetness combo is physically impossible. 

Confession time. Perhaps part of the reason I love the movie so much is that the story is near and dear to my heart. In 2005, my first summer at sleep-away camp, my bunk put on a fabulous performance of The Little Mermaid. I performed flawlessly as Flotsam, delivering my 5 lines with the poise of a Broadway star. For this reason alone, The Little Mermaid will always be special to me since, despite how minor my role was, it was one of my earliest memories from camp: my summer home for the next eleven years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment