Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Because What's a Princess Without Perfect Hair?

This Buzzfeed article had me actually laughing out loud: If Disney Princesses Had Realistic Hair. My first reaction was that the title and concept of this article was rather ridiculous and unnecessary, but after reading it my thoughts had completely shifted. THIS IS SO TRUE. HOW HAS NOBODY THOUGHT OF THIS BEFORE?! I mean seriously, how in the world does Ariel have such voluminous hair when she is underwater. I know she grooms her luscious locks carefully (forks work wonders these days!), but no amount of hair care could defy the laws of nature and prevent her hair from being soaked.

The Pocahontas one was also BEYOND accurate. Pocahontas stands atop a giant cliff, hair blowing perfectly over her shoulder. I would estimate there to be a 0% chance of this happening in actuality. It's really windy on top of cliffs.... I know from experience:

Anyways... as humorous and entertaining as I found this article to be, it also provoked some analysis. The perfectly groomed hairstyles of the Disney princesses is just one feature of their flawless beauty. Disney creates it's princesses to look the way that people will respond best to: beautiful. No one would fall in love with a frizzy haired princess. How would that look on merchandise? Imagine how a frizzy haired doll would do on the markets. These princesses are sketched to be perfect looking. Unfortunately, the young girls who idolize them are not quite created the same way. I'd pay someone a lot of money to get my hair to blow gracefully in the wind like Pocahontas'. There's always wishful thinking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment